Wednesday, July 16, 2008

Books-My Refreshment for the Soul

There is a temperate zone in the mind, between luxurious indolence and exacting work; and it is to this region, just between laziness and labor, that summer reading belongs. ~Henry Ward Beecher

In the past week and a half i have renewed a stagnant friendship with my books. My collection of books is like a time honored friendship. Always there. Even when I've neglected to roam the shelves and visit them, they are constantly vigilant; waiting for me to grab one. I LOVE to read, I've always been an avid reader ever since i was a little girl.
I was that child who went to the library during the long summers in Wisconsin and checked out 50 books. The most delightful phrase that had ever graced my young ears was "No, there is NO limit to the number of books you can check out". I would carry bags and bags of books home and sit for hours and hours reading. I got so caught up in my stories i would completely tune out the outside world. My parents would come and talk to me, the dog would run by barking, i heard nothing. I was deeply involved in the exciting lives of the characters in my book! As the years of my life have unfolded i haven't had the leisure time i had in my youth to just sit and soak in a good book; and i miss it. So last week i went with my neighbor Miss Nichols to the HHS library and she loaded me up with about 20 new books ( along with about 10 from her personal collection). I'm in heaven. I just stacked my new books on my table and every time I look at them i get excited to read them! Some might call me crazy for loving reading SO much, but i tell you what, to have a love of reading opens up a multitude of new worlds. I have an active imagination and an expansive vocabulary because of my books. So today, like yesterday, when i get off work i will spend at least 3 hours immersed in my current novel "Plain Truth" by Jodi Picoult. It is INCREDIBLE and thus far has completely intrigued me. I read many different kinds of books and authors but rarely have i run across an author who can so completely draw me in. If you HAVEN'T read a Jodi Picoult novel, do yourself a favor and pick up "Plain Truth".

"Moving seamlessly from psychological drama to courtroom suspense, Plain Truth is a fascinating portrait of Amish life rarely witnessed by those outside the faith. When a young Amish teen hides a pregnancy, gives birth in secret, and then flatly denies it all when the baby's body is found, urban defense attorney Ellie Hathaway decides to defend her. But she finds herself caught in a clash of cultures with a people whose channels of justice are markedly different from her own… and discovers a place where circumstances are not always what they seem."

6 comments:

Nicole said...

I am looking for a good new book to read Ill have to pick it up.


I love Mrs. Nichols we have the same birthday and one year she took me out to lunch at Mc Donalds I will remember her and that day forever.

Tiffany said...

Mollie did you seriously check out 50 books from the library during ONE visit. that's hillarious.

And I love reading books about the Amish culture! I have a whole series!

Angela said...

I love to read and I really need to make more time for it!
I will have to get that book!

Michelle said...

I have Sister's Keeper by Jodi Picoult on the agenda for this summer. I have a friend and a sister-in-law who LOVE her books. So, I will soon be checking her out! I love to read, too. Wish I had more time to.

Sue said...

Ashley and Alissa LOVE her books so I just read My Sister's Keeper. It was so good. You have to read it Michelle. It's a great book for a counselor to read. I love this author and how she makes you feel you are actively involved and completely informed. Now I'll have to read this one. Thanks Mollie!

Unknown said...

Mollie -

You have to read 19 Minutes and My Sister's Keeper - Picoult at her finest and she just keeps getting better and better. I'm up to 55 books so far this summer or an average of 2 per day. It's addictive and since housework isn't my favorite thing - reading is just right for a procrastinator like myself. I'll give you more soon...Jan (aka Ms. Nichols, aka NATS)