Saturday, July 5, 2008

Ants, Earwigs and Centipedes OH MY!



GROSS my house is INFESTED! Not cool. I've discovered I'm sharing my living quarters with a wide variety of four legged to 8 legged insects. I'm not enjoying it. I must say that living on my own for the past 3 years since I've been at school and now living by myself here in Hermiston, i have mastered numerous insect and repair tasks that most women would get a man to do (tasks that i myself would ABSOLUTELY ask my Dad or Brother to do if they were in town). For example. In Monmouth i learned how to change a doorknob. I learned this after my door jammed at 1:00 am after a date when i had run some trash out to the dumpster. I had to actually pull the screen off my front window, break the lock on the window and shimmy back inside; yes the neighbors had a nice show that evening. Anyway, replaced the whole doorknob myself. I also had to deal with a bag of potatoes gone bad under my sink. And when i say gone bad, i mean there were fly larvae hatching every hour from on top of it. The potatoes and bag had actually attached themselves to the side of my wall under the sink. It took almost all of my energy and anti barfing mechanisms to clean that mess up. I've snaked drains, dealt with fleas invading my bed and apartment from my cat, fixed screens, repaired my car, done minor electrical work, installed a wall unit AC...there has been a lot of valuable information harvested. When i get married some day my Husband is going to acquire a multi faceted woman. HOWEVER walking out to the kitchen every night and stepping on massive piles of earwigs..NOT OK...ok maybe massive piles is embellishing a bit but it's bad, and they are all over the house. After the first night i discovered it, about a week ago, i googled earwigs to learn more about them. I learned they are nocturnal and kind of tough to get rid of. I called an exterminator who is coming Monday ( i think i might tackle him and his equipment with a hug when he gets here) but until then every night at about 10:30 when they all come out of their cavernous homes in the walls of my house, i have my vacuum out and i vacuum them ALL up. The house is cleaner than it's been in a long time, well as clean as it can be with all the bugs. It just dawned on me though that all those earwigs i vacuum up every night are just hanging out in my vacuum cannister. Wow. Really don't want to empty that bad boy. I've been hanging out a lot at Tiff and Jacobs in the evenings to avoid my infested house.
Monday.
Salvation day.

4 comments:

Angela said...

Mollie you are so funny!
I have been battling ants over here. Seriously soooooo gross!!!

Nicole said...

I think the bugs just must be really bad this year we have some ants but my mom has tons!! hopefully the battle will be over soon.

Michelle said...

Your blog posts are so fun to read. I, too, have had a run in with potatoes gone bad... NOT PRETTY!

Sue said...

I seriously was laughing out loud all by myself! You ought to write a book! We would all be much healthier with all the laughter. I love you, you multi-faceted woman you! Get that bug-killer in your hand before you change your vacuum bag!!!